116 provincial council runners disqualified

KABUL (Pajhwok): The Independent Electoral Complaints Commission (IECC) on Wednesday announced removing another 116 individuals from the final list of provincial council candidate.
IECC Secretary Nadir Mohseni told a press conference in Kabul the runners had been disqualified because they did not meet age and academic requirements under the election law.
He added the scrutiny of candidates’ documents, ages and complaints against them had been completed. All 2,212 complaints against provincial candidates have been disposed of.
Mohseni said 60 candidates were removed from the final list because they lacked the required education, 33 fell below the age limit and 23 others did not appear before the IECC to defend themselves.
Another nine candidates had switched off their cell phones, he said, warning they would also be disqualified if they failed to contact the IECC.
“Our vetting process has been completed, but we are still ready to investigate fresh documents if submitted by disqualified candidates,” he concluded.
mds/ma/mud

Add new comment

CAPTCHA
This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.

Download “Pajhwok” mobile App, to read and access latest news, features, interviews, videos and photos about Afghanistan.